Thursday, August 19, 2010

First Day of School

Today is the first day of school at Good Shepherd Lutheran School. My baby just walked in to her last classroom at Good Shepherd. She is now an 8th grader. I don't think that I have ever cried on the first day of school--with the oldest or the youngest! With the oldest, there were still too many little ones at home. With the youngest, it was time for a break! When she started all day school in first grade, it was the first time in 21 years that I did not have a little one home during some part of the day!

Today isn't a crying day but it is a reflecting day! Reflecting on the blessings of a Christian education and knowing that it will not end thanks to Metro East Lutheran High School. But the insight into the daily life of the school at Good Shepherd that can only come from being a parent will somewhat change. I still will be teaching 7th grade Catechism in the school (God willing) and will still know many of the moms and students through my ministry work at Good Shepherd. But it won't be the same. I know from past experience that this will also end the extra insight into the daily life of my child. I won't have those chance opportunities to see her during the day. This is the last year that she can just buzz my office if she left something at home or needs permission to take a Tylenol! It's a step toward the next season of life for both of us.

Our school theme this year comes from Isaiah. It reminds us that the God who redeemed us will never forsake us.

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine." Is 43.1


Fear not! I don't know what the future holds but I know who holds the future. Or as Bob the Tomato so eloquently put it:

God is bigger than the boogie man.
He's bigger than Godzilla,
or the monsters on TV.
Oh, God is bigger than the boogie man.
And He's watching out for you and me.


May God watch over all students and their families. And I especially ask that He would help me enjoy and appreciate this last year as a Good Shepherd Lutheran School parent!

No comments: