Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Feb. 16 devotion

Matthew 16:24 (English Standard Version)
24Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.


What are you giving up for Lent? What does it mean when Jesus tells us to deny ourselves? Am I obeying Him when I deny myself chocolate or Facebook or sugar for the season of Lent? Is doing that wrong? Many people try to “give up” something that they love in order to focus on the sacrifice Jesus made for us on the cross. While not “wrong”, somehow “chocolate” doesn’t seem to compare to “crucifixion”. When we deny ourselves we are simply denying that we are number 1! We put Christ first in our lives and submit to His will for our lives. We realize that the end for Christ and for us is not the CROSS but eternal life in God’s Kingdom!
I would challenge you during the season of Lent to also ask “What can I ADD for Lent?” Maybe you might be encouraged to read your Bible daily, to spend more time in prayer, to have family devotions every day, to attend every Lenten service, or to more conscientiously share your faith with those around you. We don’t add these things to prove we are a great Christian or to gain our heavenly reward. We do these things out of gratitude for the Father’s unfailing love that sent His only Son to Earth to suffer and die for our sins.
One of my favorite hymns is “Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed.” Vs. 5 says:
But drops of grief can ne’er repay.
The debt of love I owe.
Here Lord I give myself away:
‘Tis all that I can do.
Heavenly Father, we thank you for that unfathomable gift of love you gave us in the suffering, death, and resurrection of Your Son, Jesus Christ. As we focus on His sacrifice during this season of Lent, may we be moved to give of ourselves as we seek to follow His will for our lives. In Jesus name we pray. Amen

No comments: