Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Jan 19 devotion

Are you a bargain shopper?
Anyone who knows me, knows that I am always looking for a bargain. I am a fan of a Facebook site that tells you about Freebies (or at least very good deals) every day. Everybody likes to get things for FREE! Most freebies are samples. You provide them with your address and they mail you a sample. I saw that a friend had become a fan of a page to get a free pair of boots! It really looked too good to be true. My curiosity caused me to click on it to check it out. While all the hype said “FREE”, the “conditions” were fairly long and included cutting and pasting (which would take you away from Facebook) and messaging ALL your friends! Well, to me this screamed SPAM. Now, I am not considering this a FREE offer. There are now things I must DO in order to get this item. While they may not cost “money,” there is a cost involved.
That got me thinking about SALVATION—this FREE gift from God through faith in Jesus. No strings attached. Many times our sinful self wants to add strings, many religions want to add strings. “It is a free gift, all you have to do is……..” The Bible speaks clearly in Romans 6.23.
Romans 6:23 (English Standard Version)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your FREE GIFT of eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. May our lives reflect our thankfulness for this merciful gift. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments: