Tuesday, June 29, 2010

May 4 devotion

Galatians 5:13-14 (New International Version)
13You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. 14The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself."


Today I am substitute teaching in a 5th grade classroom. I have spent my entire morning supervising 5th graders as they work together in groups of 5 or 6 to write a puppet show that they will perform for the 1st graders. Before the first class began their work on their project, I asked them a hypothetical question. If you had 2 minutes to talk on the radio, what would you want to say to all the listeners? I got some great responses—and many typical “Lutheran school” responses! Many of these kids also know me as their 5th & 6th grade youth group leader! The first response was, “Tell them to be kind.” This was followed by, “Tell them about Jesus.” “Tell them to attend worship.” “Tell them that Jesus died on the cross to forgive their sins.” “Tell them to tell others about Jesus.” “Tell them to treat others like they would want to be treated.” Okay, we summed all that up by saying that we attend worship and treat others kindly because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. No great insights there but good solid advice. Then I proceeded to explain the expectations for their work on their projects and set them free to work on this for over an hour (2 class periods). This was when their advice really made an impact. I saw these students working together without any complaints or arguments. Each group seemed to truly show a spirit of cooperation and of kindness. They worked diligently even though they could have really abused this somewhat “free” time.

The bell rang and the next 5th grade class came in. This time I did not take any time to ask them for “radio ideas.” Maybe I should have. I proceeded to explain the ground rules of using the puppets and the expectations of the rest of the morning. I then told them that they had until lunch to work on this project. This group seemed to “indulge in their sinful nature” a little more. Within 5 minutes several students were tattling on others in their group who were not “doing what they are supposed to!” Several times I had to ask this class to “lower the volume.” I had to ask several students “Where is your group?” And “Why are not in it?” 25 minutes into the class I had to threaten the ultimate “no free dress day” for anyone out of their group! I am so thankful that the teacher left me with that little gem—much more effective than detention.
Just like some of the 5th graders took advantage of their “freedom” so I am reminded that our freedom is a freedom “from” sin and not a freedom “to” sin. I need to be reminded every day of God’s abundant grace that has been given so freely to me so that I might respond to others out of thankfulness for that gift of forgiveness, life and salvation.

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your abundant gift of grace which gives us the freedom from sin. Help us to show our thankfulness to you in our interactions with others.
In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

No comments: