Tuesday, June 29, 2010

April 20 devotion

John 20.27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.


I love Good Shepherd Sunday, Everything about it is so warm and cuddly and comforting. I used to look at being “known” by God from a Law perspective. It was a scary thought that God knew everything I did. But as I matured I saw the pure grace in that statement. God knows me as only He can. He knows everything about be including my firm hope of salvation through the blood of the Lamb.

“I am Jesus Little Lamb” was a favorite bedtime lullaby at our house. My husband spent many nights walking the floor with a fussy baby while repeatedly singing those verses. One night we were at a friend’s house and it was getting late. We were preparing to leave but still talking when one the toddlers started pulling on Dad’s pants leg while crying, “I Jesus Lamb. I Jesus Lamb.” He had had enough. It was time to go home—to feel the security of Dad holding him and the comfort of the words of “I Am Jesus’ Little Lamb.”

As I was reading over the Growing in Christ material for this Sunday’s Bible Class lesson on John 10, they note that “I Am Jesus’ Little Lamb” was included in the Lord’s Supper section in some older hymnals. We think of it as a simple children’s song but the second verse reminds us of the sacraments: “When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,/ Into pleasant pastures leads me. When I thirst He bids me go/ Where the quiet waters flow.” He feeds us with righteousness at His table and daily quenches our thirst for forgiveness as we look to the waters of Baptism.

Heavenly Father, We thank and praise you for being Our God and for knowing us as only You can. We thank you for being The Good Shepherd. Help us to always hear Your voice and to follow You. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen

No comments: