Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 15

Last week I talked about the seasons of life--one son moving out in preparation for college, another son getting married. We not only survived our first wedding this past weekend, we enjoyed it. I really enjoyed every minute of the day. It was so great to see all 5 of my children together and all dressed up!!!! It was a special privilege for my husband to get to perform the ceremony. Weddings also cause you to reflect on your own marriage. This was especially the case with us because two days after the wedding was our own 30th anniversary. Paul was also blessed to have both of his grandparents at the wedding. Later this month my in-laws will celebrate 55 years of marriage and my parents will celebrate 61 years! What blessings! But what challenges. I looked at Psalm 103 to express my joy.

Psalm 103:1-5 (English Standard Version)
Bless the LORD, O My Soul
Of David.
1 Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
3who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
4who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
5who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.


This Psalm also reminds me of those challenges. It reminds me of our sinful condition—our need for forgiveness and healing and redemption. Because the Lord has done all those things for us and continues to forgive us every day, we can forgive that other sinful person in our marriage. The Lord truly crowns us with steadfast, never wavering love and mercy. The Lord satisfied me with such good this weekend that I really felt renewed by all His blessings. I will admit that my youth was gone by the time I fell into bed Saturday night!!! But I remained “satisfied” with good! Bless the Lord, O My Soul!

Heavenly Father,
We bless you for your many good gifts, including the gift of marriage. Encourage all couples to look to You as the source of forgiveness and healing when they encounter the daily struggles of marriage. Help us always to show love and forgiveness to others as a reflection of the love and forgiveness that we have been shown through Christ’s death and resurrection. In Jesus’ name we pray.
Amen

No comments: