Tuesday, June 29, 2010

May 25 devotion

Psalm 55
1 Give ear to my prayer, O God,
and hide not yourself from my plea for mercy!
22 Cast your burden on the LORD,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved.


Did you ever feel like all your plans and hard work seem to be just falling apart all around you? This is my week to lament over VBS and to hopefully give some encouragement to those who are working hard in the planning stages of VBS or some other ministry project. After so many years of “doing” VBS it seems to run more smoothly every year. Then there is this year where the great ideas keep running up against road blocks. People that you count on (maybe even take for granted) suddenly say, “I just realized that I won’t be available that week.” You are less than a month away from VBS and there are still blanks to fill! Why me? And why this year? I also have a son getting married 8 days before the start of VBS. I have other things on my plate besides VBS!

I’m a little slow sometimes and God has to hit me a little harder than either of us would like. Today He’s telling me, “Let’s switch this focus.” Leave the pity party! Let’s spend more time praying for the people God wants to use in ministry this year. And let’s definitely spend more time giving God the credit for success! God doesn’t want us to simply spend all our time in prayer and not do any prep work, but sometimes we get so caught up in the “work” of a project that we forget about keeping “God” and “His will” in all the plans.

Ephesians 3:20-21
20 Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Heavenly Father, we praise You for being the God of order and truly having control over all things. We ask that You would guide all our planning efforts so that whatever we do would lead others to Jesus as their Lord and Savior and bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen

No comments: