Tuesday, June 29, 2010

March 9 devotion

Psalm 101:1
[ I Will Walk with Integrity ] A Psalm of David. I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will make music.

I have been working on Confirmation banners the past two days. This morning I am putting together the last one. As I looked up the verse that is going on this banner, I fell it love with it. That’s what I would like to share today. It’s Psalm 101.1. The more I thought about this verse the more I liked it. At first “steadfast love” seems far apart from “justice”. But really they go hand in hand. As a human, my love is not very steadfast—my emotions and moods fluctuate and as a result my “justice” is not often very just. But God administers justice not out of anger or spite but out of steadfast (unmoving, unchanging, perfectly loyal) love. But His perfect, steadfast love does not stop Him from administering the deserved justice. The justice we deserve for our sins is complete separation from God for eternity. But thanks be to God for the gift of His Son who willing gave His life as a sacrifice for our sins so that all who believe in Him could have eternal life.

Heavenly Father, we thank you for your steadfast love and for your justice. We thank you for the sacrifice of your Son for our salvation. Help us to sing praises continually for all your good gifts. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

No comments: