Tuesday, June 29, 2010

May 18 devotion

Luke 24:50-53
The Ascension
50Then he led them out as far as Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. 51While he blessed them, he parted from them and was carried up into heaven. 52And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, 53and were continually in the temple blessing God.
Last Sunday our Sunday School lesson was about Jesus’ Ascension into heaven 40 days after Easter. In our preschool and Kindergarten opening I was getting the kids ready to hear the story of Jesus’ return to His heavenly home. I asked them questions such as, “Do any of you live in a Cave?” “Who lives in a cave?” “How about a nest?” “Who lives in a nest?” “Who lives in the ocean?” “Do any of you live in a house?” “Who lives in an apartment?” I finally got to the last question. “Who lives in heaven?” I was expecting a typical Sunday School answer of “Jesus!” A kindergartener whose 14 year old sister died during Holy Week quickly replied, “My sister!” Yes!!!! That’s right, Skylar. You’re adopted sister, Mackenzie, who was baptized just months before she died. You’re right, she no longer needs a wheelchair or a feeding tube or glasses. She now talks face to face with Jesus and lives in her heavenly home with Him forever.

Skylar led us right to the “Key Point” of our lesson. Jesus, our risen Savior, ascended into heaven to prepare a place for us there with Him.

John reminds us of this in his Gospel.

John 14:1-3 (New International Version)
Jesus Comforts His Disciples
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.


Lord, We thank and praise You for coming to earth to be our Savior. Thank You for returning to Your home in heaven to prepare a wonderful place for us there with You . Help us to trust that, even though we can not see You, You are still with us always. In Your name we pray. Amen.

No comments: